Friday, March 24, 2017

Moving to Another Genre with Abigayle Claire

Hello! I have Abigayle Claire here to talk about moving to another genre. This is one of the beauties of self-publication - the freedom to move about from genre to genre and write what we want to write. So far, I've only published fantasy, but I have written contemporary, and am working on several sci-fis  and a dystopia. It's fun to experiment.

Abigayle Claire is a new author, and I haven't read her book yet ... but if the votes I'm seeing are anything to go on, it's pretty good. So go ahead and take a risk.

Find her on the Interwebs:




Nearly every writer has a genre they feel most at home when writing. Reflect on some of your favorite authors: they wrote a dozen books in basically the same genre, right? Janette Oke, J. R. R. Tolkein, Laura Ingalls Wilder, E. B. White ... they all stuck to their happy little niche. For publication, at least.

What about those writers of us who haven't found our genre yet? *raises hand*

First, let me assure you that it's okay to not know what genre to leave your mark in. Consider C. S. Lewis. He wrote an allegorical children's fantasy series, a book on medieval and renaissance literature, a Greek myth retelling, and many books on the Christian life. He was all over the place! But throughout it all, there was a thread of consistency: himself. There's nothing wrong with being C. S. Lewis.

Don't be afraid to explore. If you have a Christian Contemporary story idea and a Dystopian story idea, so be it. (This may or may not be me. *cough*) The best place to do this is National Novel Writing Month. I'm sure you've heard of it by now--you spend an entire month working on a single story, preferably from scratch. Well, this brilliant author took a break from preparing her Christian Contemporary story for publication and wrote just over 50,000 words of a Christian Dystopian allegory. If you're scratching your head, don't worry. I am, too. But I only sacrificed 30 days of my life to the altar of exploring that genre. Now I know for certain that it was very hard, and I'm not sure my plot will ever make sense, but at least I've given it a shot!

You never know what your true gift might be or what would leave the biggest impression. Judy Garland is primarily known for The Wizard of Oz, but that movie is the one that really stands out from all the others she acted in. She actually didn't want Dorothy to be the way people remembered her, because that wasn't her. Oh well. She took the job, nailed it, and everyone loves her. You never know what side of you people will latch onto.

I would venture to say that exploring other genres is healthy. Just like reading other genres and authors, you absorb the different material and its varied presentation. That helps shape you. When I explored writing Dystopian, I was forced to think a whole lot more about creating a world and that ended up being really cool! You don't have to do that when you're writing about modern day America. Having the freedom to do whatever I wanted in the world was also pretty neat. But I honestly don't think I'm creative enough to sustain it all coherently. At least not without years of work. So I know Dystopian is a stretch for me, but I now have a greater writing arsenal overall because I gave it a try.

You should never ignore a story God has laid on your heart. God's proactive influence is a very special ingredient in any WIP. I believe He was the original Author of my novel, Martin Hospitality. I didn't think Christian Contemporary would be my genre, because I no longer enjoy reading it. But because I consumed vast amounts of it years ago, I was prepared to write that genre once He gave me my first coherent story idea.

Every idea deserves some attention for all the above reasons. Don't be afraid to get out there and explore a little!

If you are already in the process of switching genres, great! You could be the next C. S. Lewis with talent everywhere. One thing to consider, is writing under a different name. If you are going to write in two very different genres, you might want to keep them (and therefore your targeted audiences) separate.

There are so, so many details to consider when writing a story. Don't let genre be a restrictive stumbling block. A genre is just a category for one of the many ideas in your head. As Oscar Wilde said,

© 2017 Abigayle Ellison

10 comments:

  1. Awesome advice! I like how you related it to C.S. Lewis, and also what you said about NaNoWriMo- it really is a great time to experiment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you were able to relate to it, Sarah!! Have fun experimenting ;)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful advice, Abi! I love how you used the example of C.S. Lewis - I've only ever read his Chronicles Of Narnia series, but I'm hoping to get my hands on some of his other work some day. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us!

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a HUGE fan of his science-fiction trilogy.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I honestly haven't read much else by him either--just Screwtape Letters, Mere Christianity, and Till We Have Faces I think ... at least, that's not much compared to how much we own by him!! Of course :)

      Delete
    3. So many people have RAVED about his other books, so I might have to try them soon, especially his sci-fi trilogy. Funny that I love both C.S. Lewis and sci-fi, and yet I haven't read that trilogy? Sometimes I'm weird :D.

      ~ Savannah
      scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

      Delete
  3. *Tolkien not Tolkein (I'm sorry, I always notice when my favorite author's name is misspelled. :P)

    Lewis wrote really good sci-fi as well! But yes, he was all over the place, and I love it. :D

    Excellent post! I write in all sorts of genres (though I usually have Fantasy as a common thread) so you're right, it's fun to explore different things and it's definitely okay not to know yet. :) NaNo is awesome, yes. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, sorry. I always misspell that!! You'd think I'd know to check by now ;)

      I think the threads all my stories are going to have is Christian Fiction ... other than that we'll see ;)

      You're welcome :) I'm glad you found it helpful and accurate :D

      Delete
  4. This is a great post. As someone who also writes many genres, I can definitely relate. I mean, I've done, straight up historical fiction, Victorian steampunk mystery, retellings, a historical paranormal with werewolves in Roman Britian, and my latest books are Urban Fantasy/alternate universe modern retellings of Irish mythology. And I even have ideas for other genres like normal contemporary crime thrillers like Criminal Minds and supernatural crime thrillers like X-Files so, I have literally tried or want to try everything lol. But then, I like to read a lot of genres too.
    It's nice to know other people are as experimental as I am with writing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this encouraging article. I too write in a variety of genres and enjoy them. Medieval set in a fictional world, devotional, poetry, children's, non-fiction Christian living, allegory... I've dabbled in a bit of historical fiction and contemporary as well as Biblical fiction and am looking forward to exploring these genres for publication some day in the near future.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Now that you've read my post, hast thou any opinions that thou wouldst like to share? I'd love to hear them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...