Monday, June 18, 2012

The Imaginary Friend by Kelly Hashway

The Imaginary Friend


I've had Imaginary Friends on my mind, so when this was offered for free by Pixel of Ink, I snatched it up.


It's a short story, only nine pages long, but it sticks in your heart, and may even bring tears to your eyes. The main character is a girl named Samantha, who has been friends with a girl named Tracy for as long as she could remember. In fact, her earliest memory is meeting a shy Tracy on the bus and saying hello.


However, lately, Tracy has been ignoring Samantha more and more and spending more and more time with new friends. Samantha is proud of Tracy for making new friends, but feels sad at being left out.


When a girl named Jessica announces to her that she is actually only Tracy's imaginary friend, she's doesn't know what to think. It seems so unbelievable .... yet so believable.


This story captures the power of friendship, and the innocence of an imaginary friend. The set up is amazing, the world Kelly Hashway creates is both fun and beautiful, and a bit sad. It has a lot for only nine pages. I wanted to read more, but the story was complete. I would love to see a few more books written in this world.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed The Imaginary Friend. It hold a special place in my heart because I had imaginary friends growing up and my daughter has them now. I always wondered what happened to them when kids grew up, so I had to write this story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like my review. While I never had a real imaginary friend (I was too busy making up stories about my pencils) my sister had several, so they hold a special place in my heart, too. I've been working on a book about a girl and her imaginary friends, so they've been on my mind of late. I really enjoyed your book - put quite an interesting spin on them.

      Delete
  2. Oooh! I had an imaginary Alligator Friend when I was a little girl, so this book piqued my interest! I just put it on my Kindle and will read it soon. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Now that you've read my post, hast thou any opinions that thou wouldst like to share? I'd love to hear them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...