Tuesday, April 7, 2015

About Andrew

I realized I needed a Fire Prince as soon as though the thought "Love Interest" floated through my head in connection with my Water Princess. And as a romance-obsessed young teenager (though I'd never admit it) it floated through pretty soon after the Water Princess appeared.

Via Pinterest
I chose the name Andrew because it's my dad's middle name, and I really like it. It felt like a good name for a young leader, as it means manly. I then decided that he lost his mom, was the youngest of three brothers, was a boy scout, and did all the cooking for the family.

And I just wasn't connecting to his character. He was, perhaps, the first male character I ever attempted any real writing with, and since I had no brothers myself, and very few guy friends in my acquaintance anymore, and I just couldn't get into his head. I had no common ground with him, and, let's face it, he was a bit of a wimp. Not "manly" at all.

Via Pinterest
So one day, having suffered though a most of the first draft, and thrown away a couple other attempts at second drafts, and trying to figure out WHY he was the one to take over for his mom after her death when he was the youngest and I realized ... he wasn't the youngest. He was the eldest.

And with that realization, every bit of his character fell into place, and I finally clicked with him. I could identify with his role as eldest, could sympathize with the responsibility he takes on after his mother's death. Even though I still have my parents, I've come close to loosing both of them, and there have been times that V. and I have filled in and "been" mom.

Also, he's one of my few characters that I have a specific actor picked out.

Via Pinterest
Eddie Redmayne ... most of you know him better as Marius from Les Miz, but he also acted in a medieval ... I'm not sure whether it was a movie or TV series, but it was called "Pillars of Earth," and in it he was a redhead, and the first time I saw one of those pictures, I knew I had found my Andrew.

Red hair, freckles, (I'm not sure if his eyes are green or not), and that level of awkwardness that is Andrew's trademark. Pretty much the only drawback is that Eddie's love interest in PoE looks more like Jill Anna and that's ... kind of weird.

Via Pinterest

Andrew, as I've already stated, is the oldest of four. Their dad is the absentminded professor, incredibly brilliant, but frequently forgets he has kids, and since they lost their mom in a car accident four years before. Andrew, therefore, was the one who picked up her slack and became mom to his younger brothers. I think it would be safe to say that he pretty much wraps up his identity in his family. Sure, he sees to his own needs and education, but his brothers always come first.

Like Clara, when you cut down to the core of his character, he has an intense fear of failure, but it's a very different failure that intimidates him. She's afraid of failing other's expectations of her, he of not living up to the responsibility thrust upon him.

While Clara accepts being in Klarand rather quickly, because Andrew's identity is wrapped up in his brothers, and he's afraid of failing in his responsibility, he flips out, and quite vehemently demands to be sent back to his own world (something that the men would gladly do, if they could.)

Via Pinterest
Clara was found in Upper Klarand and taken to a castle where she spent the majority of part 1. They were willing to take any Water Princess who was sent to them, and while they found her unexpected, they did approve. Andrew? He gets found by a hunting party in Lower Klarand. There are exactly two people who approve of him, and Andrew isn't interested in winning friends and influencing people.

I'm not sure if Andrew would have ever accepted Klarand if it weren't for Karlos, the young son of Lord Abraham. I had created this character for the cousin-who-inspired-Chris-in-The-Ankulen, but he didn't show up until what is now part 3. However, as soon as I realized that Andrew was the oldest, I knew that the key to his character would be a younger brother in Klarand who would look up to him as a hero, and create an anchor to which Andrew could fall in love with the world.

And ... that's Andrew. I'm not sure if this post made any sense, but I'm tired and need to get to bed so I can go to work in the morning (I'm scheduling this post.)

So ... Enjoy some more pictures of Eddie. And Gifs, if they'll load.

Via Pinterest

Via Pinterest

Via Pinterest

11 comments:

  1. That's very interesting! I think you explained yourself really well, especially how you needed to be able to relate with the character yourself, before you could write him. I had that same problem with a character I was writing a while back (I never finished the story); he wasn't a main character in one way, because there aren't any scenes from his perspective. But in another way, he was definitely a central character. But ... who knows, I may be able to go back some time and rewrite that story now, with the thought that I need to be able to relate to him :D
    (He was also the youngest brother of three, but also a half-brother; didn't have a good home life, didn't know his real mother, was raised by a kind lady who died when he was eleven; I can't relate to any of that!). Thanks muchly for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't just that I didn't understand him, but his character was somewhat inconsistent as well.

      But yes, it's always best to find some common ground between you and a character, especially if they're a main character.

      Delete
  2. That's cool how one element of the character changed and all of a sudden you clicked and understood him. I hardly recognize Eddie Redmayne as a red head. Then again, I don't think I could pick him out of a line of actors either.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew makes a much better eldest than he did a youngest, that's for certain. I'm not sure why I didn't realize it sooner ... maybe it'd already be published if I had ...

      I didn't realize that I'd been pinning Eddie either until the third or fourth, when I noticed his name in the URL.

      Delete
  3. I loved this post. I never had any trouble climbing into a character's head until this Beauty and the Beast story. The main character gave me fits! I had to change a lot about her to make her work, but now I just love her to pieces.

    Question, I would love to participate in your Character Encounter... what exactly are the rules? I've been curious about this for some time and spent an afternoon trying to find the rules on your blog but never felt I found a satisfactory answer. Is there a specific day for posting them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some characters come with an instant connection, sometimes you just have to play with them a while. It all depends.

      All set in stone rules for CE's are as follows:
      1. Have fun.
      2. You must Have Your Encounter in the Location I listed.
      3. Have fun.
      4. You must tell your readers the source of Character Encounters (Knitted By God's Plan) and provide a link.
      5. Have fun.
      (As found on the official page, to which there is a button on my sidebar)

      Character Encounters are meant as character development for YOU. Make them what you need them to be, and when you need them to be. As long as you get it done while the link-up is still open (I can only have them live for a month without getting a premium paid account), and if you're a bit late, I don't mind it if you just provide a link in the comments. Occasionally, I'll include a challenge for what sort of character you should meet (a side character, one you haven't actually written with before, a guy, that sort of thing), but not often, and it's usually optional.

      Delete
    2. Okay, so easier than I was thinking it would be. LOL I am going to try to do one this month!

      Delete
  4. Isn't it fun when you suddenly discover things about your characters that inspire a whole slew of other things? I had that experience recently with characters from three or four different series--suddenly this family tree formed in my head, and BAM! they're all related to each other. Very exciting!

    I have a feeling I'm going to like this guy (but then, he's a redhead, so automatic brownie points there). ;-) Actually, I'm looking forward to the whole book/series! :-D
    And I love the pix you've found. He looks like a redheaded Frodo...sorta-kinda-almost. ;-)

    God bless, and happy writing!
    ~"Tom"~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fully expecting Andrew to gain fangirls, because he is such a sweetheart. He's not looking forward to that, though.

      Delete
    2. He's got one now. Kind of. I'm not really a fangirl type. And I like Jakob about as much.

      Delete
  5. I don't know it I have ever read this post before (being kinda new to the blogging world) but I did just re-read WPFP and gained a new appreciation for Andrew. Although I am not the oldest, but I have lost a parent and I do do a lot of the cooking and all at my house. And yeah, if I was suddenly pitched into an unknown world.....well I would probably have more of Clara's reaction then Andrew's.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Now that you've read my post, hast thou any opinions that thou wouldst like to share? I'd love to hear them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...