Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Next Big Quest

There's a tag going around where you answer questions about your current WIP. I haven't officially been tagged with it, but two of the blogs I follow have declared a mass tag on their readers, so I'm taking advantage.

First, I'll do The Ankulen, since that will be my next book published, (hopefully in late August/early September, should all go well ...) and, since I'm stealing it from to people, I'll do My Kingdom for a Quest as well, so that you can get acquainted with it.


1: What is the working title of your book?

The Ankulen

2: Where did the idea come from for the book?

My cousin and I had a stage in our back yard, and naturally wanted to preform a play on it. We tried doing something based on my mom's book, but since that book is unfinished, it didn't go very far. We then decided to have me be a girl who lost her best friend eight years ago, and him be that best friend who appears the same age he was when he disappeared. We never did do that play, mostly because I couldn't come up with a good ending - that I could do on a stage.

3: What genre does your book come under?

Fantasy.

4: Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Ehhh ... I'm not really one for character casting. But ... if The Ankulen actually became a movie, I'd like that girl who played Rapunzel in Tangled to play Letitia. Wait ... she's computer animated ... um ...


Oh, well, as long as I get to play Jen, I'll be satisfied. I'm sorry, but I just can't see anyone else playing her. The cousin has outgrown Chris ... but in a few years, he'll be able to play the older version ...

5: What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book? 

A girl's quest to reclaim her lost imagination.

6: Is your book self-published, published by an independent publisher, or represented by an agency?

I've toyed with sending this to a publisher, but I'll probably just self-publish like I have been doing.

7: How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

Six or seven months, if I remember right ...

8: What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? 

I'm one of those weird people who, when they have a book idea, will stalk shelves in quest of similar books (so that I know that I'm not just rewriting them) and, truth be known, I actually haven't found anything like the Ankulen. 


Wait, take that back, The Neverending Story is a similar creature ... but at the same time, very different.

The closest equivalent I've found is Shark Boy and Lava Girl, which is actually a movie. They have the same basic theme - main character must go rescue imaginary world.  

9: Who or what inspired you to write this book?

The cousin to whom it will be dedicated. That and frog leg soup.

10: What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?


I think I shall share a plot spoiler with you. The creature who is eating Jen's imagination? Well, it eats her, too. In two bites.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1: What is the working title of your book?

My Kingdom for a Quest (Bookania Quests #3)

2: Where did the idea come from for the book?

Well, since I had Arthur, who needs to reclaim his kingdom from his uncle, and Casperl, who is trying to figure out exactly how he's a prince, I figured I ought to write their stories.

3: What genre does your book come under?

Fantasy/fairy tale rewriting

4: Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

I actually have a few actors picked out for Bookania!

Via Pinterest

Arthur could be played by the guy who plays Eregon.

Via Pinterest
Samson can be played by the guy who played Cato in the Hunger Games.


Via pinterest

This girl is, to my understanding, from the Game of Thrones. She could play Shira!




Robin ... ehhh ... there's a number of people I've considered for her, including Kierra Knightly, the girl who played Katniss, and the girl who plays Maid Marian in the BBC Robin Hood. I'm leaning towards the last. Or ... I have a friend who likes acting, maybe her ...

Robert? Nope. No idea. If you have suggestions, though, I'd love to hear them!

Eric? Well my mom and I are still debating on Orlando Bloom. I think he'd make a great Eric. Mom says he doesn't have broad enough shoulders.

Rosamond could be played by Rosamund Pike.

I'd play Madeleine. (Yes, I like casting myself in my books.)


5: What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book? 

Arthur's quest for his kingdom, and Casperl's quest for his title.

6: Is your book self-published, published by an independent publisher, or represented by an agency?

Since the previous two books are self-published, I think I'll stick with that.

7: How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

I wrote the first 17,000 words or so in about two weeks ... but I haven't touched it since. Now that I have Take out of the way, though, maybe I'll buckle down and finish it ... and hopefully have it out before November?

8: What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? 

Pun-wise, the closest equivalent is Piers Anthony's Xanth series (Of which I'm on book 10). Fairy Tale wise? Well, my mom compares it to a series by Anne McCaffery, but I'm not allowed to read it because of ... details. (Xanth is borderline my limit, but at least details are left out of the picture. They simply don't avoid the subject.)

9: Who or what inspired you to write this book?

My Mom.

10: What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

The younger brother of the cousin who inspired The Ankulen likes to run up to me ever so often and start singing "There's no castle for uh-us, there's no castle for us!"

He's quoting Kingdom, but I won't tell you who he's quoting.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On another note, convinced my character, Clara, to review Sew, for me yesterday. Oh, and Sew is currently free for Kindle - until Friday night.

Anyone who wants to steal the questions and answer them on their own blog, feel free. The only exception is V. Kathie Ardnek, who has to answer them. I'm a nice big sister like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Now that you've read my post, hast thou any opinions that thou wouldst like to share? I'd love to hear them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...